среда, 11 мая 2016 г.

Source List and Budget Tips for Master Bath

Source List and Budget Tips for Master Bath

I know I’ve been dragging out this master bath reveal. Sorry about that. There are just so many things I want to say that it seemed only reasonable to break them up! In an effort to move on, though, I’ve combined the last two things I wanted to share: bathroom renovation budget tips and a source list.


Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com

Our budget for this bathroom was not large… I say that, though, with the realization that everything is relative. And trust me, we’ve run the gamut on totally free do-what-you-can-with-what-you-have renovations to a full kitchen remodel, but I’ve done the research (i.e. I’ve watched enough HGTV, haven’t you?!?!) to know that for a total bath remodel, we managed a very reasonable overall cost. Also, before I talk numbers, I want to remind you that our budget had to include all new plumbing, repairs in the living room, new subfloors, and some new walls, not to mention the tiling, tub, vanity, sink, toilet, etc… We couldn’t save a thing from the previous bathroom. Ok, that said, we did this for under $10K – actually closer to 9. And here are my suggestions for how to keep yourself within a reasonable budget (whatever your budget might be!):


  1. Balance a few high-end finishes with less expensive ones. I really wanted marble, and one advantage of a small bathroom is that it wasn’t outrageous to spend $5/sf on our marble floors because there aren’t very many square feet! But also, I was able to balance the cost by using dirt cheap subway tiles on the shower and a very standard (on sale!) white toilet. The marble still gives us a beautiful, high-end look, but the balance of subway tiles and sale fixtures kept the cost down.
    Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com
  2. Use what you already have. The mirror was a black one that used to be outside on our screened porch at our old house. It was the right size, so it got a coat of antique white chalk paint (see here for homemade chalk paint recipes and suggestions) and went on the wall. Free!
    Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com
  3. Consider subway tile and chrome finishes. I know there are as many different styles and tastes as there are people, but consider some of these classic touches if you’re willing because… they’re cheaper. And, as it happens, they’re pretty popular right now! Honestly, go look at some faucets and compare the cost of finishes; chrome is almost always at least $20 cheaper. And that adds up!
    Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com
  4. Don’t be afraid to ask for discounts. My vanity (which we ordered online) came with a crack. Thankfully, it was not a structural issue (it’s on the bottom of the inside – no one will ever see it!), so I called the company and asked how much discount they would give me. I got almost $300 off!! Be bold!
    Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com
  5. Set a budget for yourself and with your contractor. If you’ve been following me for a while, you know that Mr. Pax and I like to DIY. Mr. Pax recently built us some gorgeous built-in bookshelves, and we re-floored his office ourselves… but a bathroom remodel was not something we wanted to take on. So we used a contractor (a friend, whom we’ve used before), and we told her how much we wanted to spend. And we worked within that. Period. It’s great to have that kind of a relationship – don’t settle for less. She helped me know just how high I could go on my marble countertop to stay within our goal budget… and then I looked only within that range. We set a goal of $100 for lighting, and she found this (which I love!). So much better than falling in love with a ton of expensive things and then adding them up and regretting it horribly.
    Great budgeting tips for bathroom remodel | maisondepax.com

I hope these tips help in some way! I am already thinking of more ideas, but this has gotten too long already… Any more tips you’d like to share? Leave a comment! In the meantime, here is the source list for our master bath:



Please let me know if you have any questions not answered here! And don’t miss the tips on designing small bathrooms here.


Did you enjoy that? Subscribe to Maison de Pax so you’ll never miss a post!

Follow along on Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for more fabulous ideas!


MORE HOME IMPROVEMENTS:


office bookshelves sign

gorgeous office makeover at maisondepax.com

Fabulous step-by-step tutorial at maisondepax.com

Have my best tips on home decor, DIY, and life delivered directly to your inbox.


Original article and pictures take www.maisondepax.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий